These are such a simple, filling snack that you can easily whip up the night before and will last you all week! The ingredients are simple and inexpensive. They would also be the perfect snack for kids’ lunch boxes and they are only sweetened with dates which makes them totally guilt free! I am so happy with how easy this recipe is and how delicious it tastes. My colleagues stared at me with envy when they saw me pull one of these from my bag, and that was before they had tasted them! I’m definitely planning on taking these to work for everyone to share next week.
The sticky date mixture in these works as the perfect binding ingredient and natural sweetener. The pumpkin seeds and buckwheat add a nice texture as the oats become quite soft. You could even swap the pumpkin seeds for raisins or nuts, and swap the flavouring if you’re not keen on cinnamon. Perhaps I will develop some alternative recipes with different flavour combinations so stay tuned!
I am really trying to focus my blog at the moment on the fact that I work full time and lead a really busy schedule, which I’m sure a lot of you do too. It’s really difficult to stay inspired and vary your meals when you’re constantly eating on the go, so I really hope my website gives you the inspiration you need! I’d love some suggestions for more quick and easy recipes you would like to see, so just drop me a comment or an email and I will try my best!
- 200g Medjool Dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Oats
- 1 Cup Buckwheat Groats
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius
- Line a square tin with baking paper
- Place the dates, water, cinnamon and salt in a pan and heat on a really low heat until the ingredients combine and you have a sticky sauce-type mixture
- Turn off the heat and add the coconut oil and stir until it is melted
- Add the oats, buckwheat and pumpkin seeds and stir into the mixture until really well combined
- Place the mixture into the tin and spread evenly
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the edges turn golden
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely
- Cut into squares or rectangles in the tin and keep in an airtight container